What on earth is Operation Skinny Cow?

Operation Skinny Cow was born after a few of us in Blogland decided it might be nice to lose some weight and/or get a bit fitter. We decided it would be even nicer if we encouraged each other along the way.

You can read about how it started in this post.

If you want to be part of the fun and add your own posts to this blog then send an e-mail to Emily Sue at reachingforgreen@gmail.com and she'll set you up as an author.

Friday, August 20, 2010

Well, you see, there was this camp... (HJ)

Actually was pretty good, though. Didn't have seconds. Refused cakey-things and bickies until lunchtime Sunday when I accidentally ate two pieces of cake (I got one for my Beloved, then it disappeared - I presume I ate it).

This week's loss is 300grams. I'm not complaining, it is a step in the right direction and came with an additional centimeter off my waist - that's got to be good.

I've been reflecting on a time in my life when I lost weight without trying. I was sick and the doctor told me to avoid sugar, artificial colours and flavours, preservatives, white flour products and some fruits like citrus, pineapple and tomatoes. I probably took it further because I was not keen on grainy or wholemeal flour, therefore why would I bother eating them?

I probably ended up the skinniest I've been since I turned into an adult. I don't know, though, because I didn't possess scales and wasn't aiming at losing weight - I was aiming at gaining energy to exist. However, my interview suit skirt (that I haven't been able to wear for many, many years - not even when I got married 18 kg ago) was big on me.

And that's the marvel. I was doing approximately no exercise, because walking from the letterbox or up the stairs at work was almost too much for me at the time.

So really, if I cancel out rubbish food my weight should slide down.

So why do I eat rubbish?

THAT, my friends, holds the key to this whole thing.

4 comments:

Long dark hair, blue eyes said...

that is so true!

Givinya De Elba said...

I know. But I am so hungry. Sometimes, I make one of my weight-loss goals "Keep myself in a continual state of hunger" because that's what it amounts to.

And I refuse to believe you are 18 kg heavier than at your wedding. You looked stunning on that day, and stunning now. I don't believe that you're heavier.

Emily Sue said...

Weight Watchers (because now I'm a groupie) flags "filling foods" on its food lists... idea being you eat more of those foods than others so you don't feel hungry. Good idea except they're not necessarily the foods I want to eat.

And chocolate is not a 'filling food' on that list. I checked.

Hippomanic Jen said...

The problem for me is not hunger. It's nibbling. I like to nibble. I like to have certain tastes or textures in my mouth. My stomach is not ordering more food, my mouth is. And my emotional state.

But when I am hungry I do like to eat, and it's making good choices then, too. Tomorrow is likely to be hard because I have meeting after event after meeting and need to grab some quick food between two things or simply not eat lunch at all. Fast food is deadly. No lunch leads to eating the cakey things offered at Minister's Association.

And you may not know that when our boys were bombing Germany during WWII each man on the bomber crew were given a handful of boiled sweets and some blocks of chocolate to keep them going for 8 or so hours. So it must be filling! Tell that to your Weight Watchers weigh-in lady! I dare ya! :)