What on earth is Operation Skinny Cow?

Operation Skinny Cow was born after a few of us in Blogland decided it might be nice to lose some weight and/or get a bit fitter. We decided it would be even nicer if we encouraged each other along the way.

You can read about how it started in this post.

If you want to be part of the fun and add your own posts to this blog then send an e-mail to Emily Sue at reachingforgreen@gmail.com and she'll set you up as an author.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Give or Take (HJ)

I haven't been really keen to post.

This might be because as of the end of semester I'd almost beaten my best weight ever (if I was a cow heading for the sale yards, that is). I didn't want to talk about it.

But it does give one a certain amount of motivation when they look in the mirror in some of their clothes and realise that the pregnancy rumours are going to be up and running again (if they aren't already) if one doesn't DO SOMETHING.

So I'm trying to get more active. I like food. I like lots of it, and some of the lots I like is not necessarily healthy.

So I will begrudgingly exercise in order to be able to eat moderate amounts of whatever the heck I want. Yes, I will continue to have healthy breakfast. No, I don't need a huge amount of lunch. Yes, I will try to have fruit and/or yoghurt for dessert.

But there will be occasional cakey-things. Or hot chips. or ice-cream. Or cheesecake.

I've been doing 10 mins rowing most mornings (oh, how the mighty have fallen), and I rode my bike three times this week to things I would normally take the car for.

I have been Zumba DVDing a couple of times when I have time, too.

I was walking the LBD a few times a week, but the bike riding is leaving me pretty worn out, so I've been slack this week.

Anyway, apart from the fact that I didn't write down the number representing the zenith of my weight-gain, it appears that in the last two weeks I've lost a kilo. Give or Take. Possibly as much as 1.3.

But then, one of the nannas at mainly music asked me if I'd lost some weight. I didn't really think one kg would make that much difference.

Maybe I'm building muscle!

4 comments:

Emily Sue said...

I am not denying myself food I want to eat, except possibly on the days when I want to eat a huge bowl of hot chips followed by a 200g block of chocolate. I try to exercise SOME self-control at those times! But I'm not trying to diet, just eating a bit more healthy. (My counsellor would tell me to add "...because I'm worth it..." at the end of that sentence.)

Good on you for getting back into exercise. Ten minutes is a LOT when you haven't done it for a while, and it's certainly better than none at all. When I started back on the treadmill after a long break I was doing ten minutes at a time, and built up from there.

Why don't you ditch the scales for a while and work on measurements instead?

Emily Sue said...

Also, unless you're going for no fat, no sugar (no taste) yoghurt you might as well have cake (without icing) for dessert. The calorie count isn't vastly different.

Hippomanic Jen said...

Yeah, but the dairy (calcium) and good bacteria are possibly better for me than cake?

Emily Sue said...

Oh yes, calcium. I always forget about that since I don't drink milk or eat much dairy. Except cheese... mmmm... My calcium comes mostly in tablet form, but I suppose some people do actually get it from food!