What on earth is Operation Skinny Cow?

Operation Skinny Cow was born after a few of us in Blogland decided it might be nice to lose some weight and/or get a bit fitter. We decided it would be even nicer if we encouraged each other along the way.

You can read about how it started in this post.

If you want to be part of the fun and add your own posts to this blog then send an e-mail to Emily Sue at reachingforgreen@gmail.com and she'll set you up as an author.

Monday, November 7, 2011

Prepare to be amazed ...

Today I did it! I swam 50 laps, that is 2.5km!!! The first 10 laps were killers as usual, laps 22-24 were depressing because it was still hard going and I knew I wasn't halfway yet, but sometime in the late 20s I settled into my strokes and breathing and it became easier.

I have added two more laps into the set that I repeat. They are non-flippers laps, the trickiest for me due to my tiny inadequate feet. My set of eight now looks like
1. Kickboard & flippers, tread water for a minute at the deep end
2. Kickboard & flippers
3. Freestyle, girlpower only
4. Breaststroke, girlpower only
5. Freestyle, flippers
6. Breaststroke, flippers
7. Freestyle, hand paddles & flippers
8. Breaststroke, hand paddles & flippers.

So you see, my swimming is greatly flipper-assisted. But I like it that way.

Today after four sets (32 laps) I just kept powering up and down with my flippers. I took them off for a few laps but by then the exhaustion was showing and it was a bit too much. I needed two kickboard laps to rest a bit.

I powered past 40 laps and began to marvel at how I was now swimming personal bests - every lap was the furthest I'd ever swum! I was so relieved when laps 46-49 were done. And can you imagine how I felt on Lap 50? Woo hoo! It was exhilarating!

I guess now I need to find time to go and buy my reward!

4 comments:

Givinya De Elba said...

PS I am finding it hard to get the time to log my calories, despite how great it was for me from April-August when I lost 10%. I'm estimating a moderate calorie deficit in my head, and am smugly satisfied when a swim like today's allows me more calories (guilt-free treats!). I could certainly do with getting back on that wagon though, as my weight loss has stagnated now I've been fudging my diet for so long.

But the swimming! Yay!

Loony Lace Lady said...

Great going, I will sit here and encourage you, I can't swim so that isn't for me. I will look forward to hearing your continued progress. Onwards and downwards.

Givinya De Elba said...

Thanks LLL! It's really quite fun! I noticed how much I'm looking forward to walking to and from school tomorrow - some serious calorie burn up the hills both ways. I have to get back quicksmart though - I mind your great-niece and great-nephew on Weds, and have to push myself to get my 2 smaller ones and their heavy double stroller up the hill to home by 9:00 am.

Emily Sue said...

I can't swim either, but posts like this always make me wish I could! You're doing brilliantly and I can't wait to see the photo of your tiny inadequate feet in their spiffy new swim fins. :)