What on earth is Operation Skinny Cow?

Operation Skinny Cow was born after a few of us in Blogland decided it might be nice to lose some weight and/or get a bit fitter. We decided it would be even nicer if we encouraged each other along the way.

You can read about how it started in this post.

If you want to be part of the fun and add your own posts to this blog then send an e-mail to Emily Sue at reachingforgreen@gmail.com and she'll set you up as an author.

Saturday, June 27, 2009

A Moment of Weightlessness / Moment of Truth

It must be my turn to hold the fort for a bit, I just hope that someone comes home soon!

My gain since last week equals zero.

Unfortunately my loss since last week also equals zero, and I'm hoping that this is the moment of weightlessness before my weight plummets to the floor.

I was looking at my trendy spreadsheet again. So many goals (good, achievable goals) that I've let slide by pretty much since Christmas. I know that if I go back to my 'normal' eating pattern I will slowly climb back up into the mid 70s. Am I okay with that? Not really.

So:-
1. I will row three times this week. Started off already with 25 minutes this morning.

2. I will walk three times this week. The LBD will be very glad about that, and it does do wonders for my mental health.

3. I will allow myself 2 desserts and 2 other miscellaneous naughties during the week.

4. I will try to eat more good food despite the apparent conflict between the government's 2 & 5 programme and avoiding itchy spots (i.e. fruit apart from pears is pretty much out on a daily basis).

To a certain extent, it is the conflicts between all the different schools of thought that trips me up with respect to good eating. Food apparently needs to be low in sugar, fat, salt, and carbs. It needs to have no artificial flavours, colours or preservatives. Fresh may indeed be best, but it also needs to be low in the naturally occurring food chemicals that cause itchy spots. It needs to be Australian grown/made/owned, but also inexpensive. Also, apparently one serve of meat is plenty, four serves of grains are necessary, and 2 serves of fruit and 5 of vegetables are what we should have each day.

Is it any wonder that I am going through a phase of hating food shopping?

It doesn't help that my herb and shallot garden is struggling through the cold weather. I need these to make food at all interesting without going to the shops every two days. Maybe I need to bring the pots inside?

Off to make chicken soup... and a sponge cake (oops). I'm trying to get my sponge-making ability consistent. It has egg in it, so it must be healthy, yes?

3 comments:

Femina said...

Yes, please hold the fort! You're doing really well. I'll be home soon... I have been weighing in but the results are too shocking even for this blog. At least to me.

Givinya De Elba said...

Oh Jen, sorry we have deserted you (heh, heh, "desserted" you!)

I've plunged into a bit of shock regarding the unexpected imminence and planned surgical nature of Thingamababy's arrival, and also his/her health over these last few complicated weeks (although all things are happy and bleeding-free in uterus-land.)

It seems I have been in damage control for the last 18 months (since the bed-bugs, I think) and I can never seem to get over one major crisis before the next one hits.

And I know from past experience that The Coming Of One's Young precipitates a crisis from which one does not emerge until the child's first birthday.

Will I ever be able to focus on ME again? Will this current self-neglect result in a sudden weight gain causing me to puff up like a stonefish and remain that way until the day they bury me in a piano crate? Will I ever be able to see my underpants again, over this giant belly?

I hope I've got some on today, by the way.

Hippomanic Jen said...

Givinya, you are excused from blogging, although the image of burying someone in a piano crate is sufficiently amusing for me to steal your incoming child so that you can continue to amuse me on a regular basis. Of course, that probably wouldn't help your list of things that have gone wrong any.