What on earth is Operation Skinny Cow?

Operation Skinny Cow was born after a few of us in Blogland decided it might be nice to lose some weight and/or get a bit fitter. We decided it would be even nicer if we encouraged each other along the way.

You can read about how it started in this post.

If you want to be part of the fun and add your own posts to this blog then send an e-mail to Emily Sue at reachingforgreen@gmail.com and she'll set you up as an author.

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Undutiful Porker returns to Skinny Cow again

So it was a really good idea to get back on the wagon.

It's a pity that I didn't, really.

However, I have been paying a bit more attention to healthy eating and I've rowed a couple of times during the last few weeks. And I thought about going for some walks with the Little Black Dog.

The exercise was mostly spurred on after my pre-admission phone call from a nurse asking questions about my health issues and any medication that I'm on. When asked about my level of fitness I did confess to being at the bottom end of the fitness range. She needed more information:

Her: "Do you walk for half an hour each day?"

Me: "Well, that's my aim, but I haven't been meeting it for the last few weeks."

Her: "If you walk up four flights of stairs would you be breathless?"

Me: "Is there anyone who wouldn't be breathless walking up four flights of stairs?"

Her (somewhat impatiently): "Yes!"

And although I didn't challenge it at the time, I'm certain that even when I was at my fittest (during high school when I rode my bike for 5 km to school and back about 4 times a week) I would have been breathless if I tried to walk up four flights of stairs.

Even when I was at college and walked everywhere and did indeed have four flights of stairs to climb to get to my room I was breathless at the top of them.

However, at least the hospital know how out of condition I am. You would have thought that they could have worked that out when I confessed to my height and weight!

I work best from a position of strength. I'm 1.4 kilos down since my last weigh-in. Or maybe exactly the same weight, but I took best two of three attempts.

So I rowed this morning and feel all good.

I had a balanced breaky that include fruit and milk and toast and I feel all good.

Then I finished off the packet of cheese Twisties that lured me yesterday at the supermarket.

I have to work on my just-say-no control mechanism.

Onwards and downwards.

2 comments:

Givinya De Elba said...

This is terrible. That you should be made to call yourself an 'undutiful porker' on the strength of the fact that some woman indicated it would be normal not to be breathless going up 4 flights of stairs when in fact people climb stairs for exercise, meaning that it's recognised as being a bit of a workout, meaning - duh - people get a bit breathless. That's what exercise is all about.

I'D be breathless going up stairs, YOU'D be breathless going up stairs, THE LADY ON THE PHONE would be breathless going up stairs, YOUR DOCTOR would be breathless going up stairs. Fact.

Before the whole teeth-pulling thing at the hospital, track that woman down and force her up 4 flights of stairs. Just to check.

Long dark hair, blue eyes said...

The lifts were out at work on Thursday this week. I work on level 5. I was breathing very heavily after taking the stairs.

Well done for starting to get back on the wagon.