What on earth is Operation Skinny Cow?

Operation Skinny Cow was born after a few of us in Blogland decided it might be nice to lose some weight and/or get a bit fitter. We decided it would be even nicer if we encouraged each other along the way.

You can read about how it started in this post.

If you want to be part of the fun and add your own posts to this blog then send an e-mail to Emily Sue at reachingforgreen@gmail.com and she'll set you up as an author.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Copy Copy Copy (Givinya)

Okay. Here goes:

Before pregnancy: I can't remember exactly, possibly 68 or 69 kg? I was getting lumpy and dumpy and I was not fitting into my jeans well.

During pregnancy: I did lose some fat from my upper body, and only went up to 74.4 kg.

After Joseph: 64.0 to 65.0 kg. Fitting into jeans better, but eating an enormous amount. Mostly healthy foods, but probably too many choc-chip biscuits.

Goal: 60.0 kg, unless I get there and decide that 58.0 or 59.0 would be healthier. (A BMI of 22 [58kg-60kg] has suited my frame better over the years and made me feel healthier than the current BMI=24. But hey wow - it's currently 24! That's supposed to be good! So why do I feel like a blancmange, and look so appallingly jubbly and rotund over the belly - and I'm not talking just baby stuff - there's too many muffins in my muffin top! I feel I shouldn't be complaining about BMI=24, but it's not suiting me one little bit!)

I was talking to a friend yesterday. The essence of my question for her was: at what point does a girl with a body shape like a barrel (thinnish arms, shoulders, neck, and from the knees down, but with an embarrassingly rotund middle) get some expert weight-loss help, e.g., from a Program?

Her reply contained the idea that anybody can lose weight - they just have to want to. She said she has known people who say they want to lose weight but they never do, and these were the people who never really wanted to.

Excuse me?

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy that.

I have never ever been able to control my weight. When I was having revolting panic attacks and unable to keep food down for weeks on end, there was nothing I could do to increase my weight. And now that I am shaped like a barrel, I have found that despite eating a healthy diet and swimming 0.5 km regularly (back when I was free to do so!) I am completely unable to decrease my weight.

My weight does its own thing. And at the heart of this not-checking-in-with-Skinny-Cow thing is my total lack of belief that trying to lose weight will be worth the time I spend on it.

Hence the choc-chip cookies.

5 comments:

Allegro ma non troppo said...

No, I don't believe that everybody can control their own weight. The needlessly large people can do so. People on hunger strikes can do so. Both those people have choices.

I used to swing between 57 and 63 very quickly and regulary, and I never knew why. You'd think a 6 kilogram weight range would have some meaning, but not that I could tell. It wasn't related to food or exercise. Stupid hormones, I suppose.

Femina said...

I think there's SOME truth in the 'wanting to lose weight' theory but that doesn't mean it's always true for everyone. Certainly I didn't lose weight until I was ready to do so (and therefore ready to put in the massive effort required) but I also lost weight in my 20s way easier than I do now. Does that mean I wanted it more then than now? I don't think so.

Anyway, welcome back... even if you're just checking in briefly. :)

Oh, and I'm a little horrified to realise that a week ago (when I was mid-period and eating everything in sight) I was just about your pregnancy weight. Wow. That's kind of depressing... it's not like I'm incredibly tall or big-boned, either. Oops.

Givinya De Elba said...

Oh no, I am sorry. I'm not hugely tall. Does that make it better?

Femina said...

I'm not hugely tall either... and you don't need to be sorry for MY weight gain! :D (Although I'm happy to blame someone else, if I can also make someone walk on the treadmill for me...)

Hippomanic Jen said...

There is some merit to the wanting it thing. At the moment I've just polished off the box of Roses chocolates and know that I am NOT motivated to exercise. I think I need to get used to the fact that I am a shetland pony, not a thoroughbred. If I eat and don't exercise I will blow out. But some people just can't change things even when they give it their best shot.