What on earth is Operation Skinny Cow?

Operation Skinny Cow was born after a few of us in Blogland decided it might be nice to lose some weight and/or get a bit fitter. We decided it would be even nicer if we encouraged each other along the way.

You can read about how it started in this post.

If you want to be part of the fun and add your own posts to this blog then send an e-mail to Emily Sue at reachingforgreen@gmail.com and she'll set you up as an author.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Lent. (HJ)

I've never been from a tradition where you give things up for lent.

But I do believe in trying different things that might put me in a space where I'm more open to what God might be doing, so I decided to give it a go. Now, I don't believe it has to be food. It's anything that we don't think we can live without: maybe reading or TV or buying things. Anything that could get in the road of a good relationship with God.

When I thought about it, though. I realised that for me at this time it is food. So I gave up added sugar for Lent. Not cheating with all the fake sugar products, but still allowing fruit and other naturally occurring sugar.

I survived my birthday, two conference/seminary things, two family get-togethers, and my niece's dedication without succumbing to temptation. I was doing quite well, really.

Yesterday I said 'no' to hot cross buns on the same principle, not going to break my Lenten fast with only two more sleeps to go, only to be informed by our former Minister (who has Catholic family members) that Lenten fasts finish on Palm Sunday.

Like, last Sunday.

So protestants can't be trusted with Lenten fasts. We really don't know what we do.

Oh, and I forgot to weigh-in. Next week. But I haven't put on any extra weight with all the activities above, so it shouldn't be too bad.

4 comments:

Emily Sue said...

Lent finishes during a celebration of the Lord's Supper on the evening of Maundy Thursday, actually. For Catholics AND Protestants.

Hippomanic Jen said...

Okay, but I was told it's supposed to be 40 days from Ash Wednesday. That's last Sunday by my count (and I counted it twice - but how that works Wednesday to Sunday now stymies me).

But that's much better, because now I don't feel like I missed out so much. :)

Emily Sue said...

It's still 40 days because you are supposed to get Sundays off as "mini-Easter" days, celebrating Jesus' victory over sin and death. So the Sundays don't count and I think that's how you get to Maundy Thursday.

I can't believe I know that. I don't even bother with Lent.

But yeah, point is... you didn't miss as much as you thought! ;)

Givinya De Elba said...

Well done anyway. Last year we had this conversation. And we held to Nat's decision this year.