What on earth is Operation Skinny Cow?

Operation Skinny Cow was born after a few of us in Blogland decided it might be nice to lose some weight and/or get a bit fitter. We decided it would be even nicer if we encouraged each other along the way.

You can read about how it started in this post.

If you want to be part of the fun and add your own posts to this blog then send an e-mail to Emily Sue at reachingforgreen@gmail.com and she'll set you up as an author.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

The weather has been splendid! (GdeE)

Hello all!  I am back.  Happy Easter to all!

Six weeks ago I had a conversation with Emily Sue about food issues, and a few days later I had a conversation with another friend, B, about fashion issues.  During both conversations, I found that I was unable to conjure up any issues.

I had to admit that although I have lumpy dumpy bits and would love them gone so I could start looking good in clothes, I'm not all hung up about it.  I don't care about my appearance all that much, because I have an inherent belief in my worth, Fatty-Fatty-Boombah or not.  I don't have emotional issues with weight, food, clothes, makeup, hair or anything.  I just KNOW that I'm just fine with God, with my loved ones and with ME, whether I lose these kilos or not.  Losing the wobbly bits would be icing on the cake.

The only reason why I'm so keen on doing it is because when I want to do something, I want to do it - no mucking around and failing.

SO.  Six weeks holiday from OSC.  Who have I been talking to during that time?  I have a friend who has 4 children, and (by her accounts) puts on weight when pregnant.  Each time her babies are weaned, she says, "Right, now I will lose the weight," and she does.  She just does.  ("Wha-?")  She has got a lot of sensible, common-sense ideas, but the difference seems to be that it's more structured than my previous "It's healthy so I will eat it" approach. AND she is low-pressure.  I need that.

What have I been reading?  My friend gave me some books.  She picks ideas from each of them and does what feels right.  So I have done the same.  I've focussed on how my body feels energetic with a bit of protein in it, and how my carbs really need to be sensible.  This has meant switching to wholemeal bread and pasta, and not eating anything white.  Yum!  (No, seriously, yum!) 

Other things I have read:
This post made me think I was doing better than I'd previously thought.
This post intrigued me. "Nothing more to see here."  I thought I'd give it a go, and that brings me to:

What have I been eating?  I have steadfastly maintained that one shouldn't need to count kilojoules and all that palaver but that second link above?  It made me decide to give it a go.  I will let you know how things work out.  If the scales don't show any difference after a few weeks, I'll go and read that first link again and buy another pair of super-control Magic Knickers.  Whatever.

What have I been doing?  Well, as per the title of this post, the weather has been splendid!  This, coupled with the fact that my husband sort of -oops- slightly smashed various parts of our car up (an unblogged experience because what do you say?) leaving me with some carless school pickups has had us out and about, huffing and puffing up and down hills with a heavy double stroller.  Great exercise!  We also have a park at the bottom of our hill, and have gone there and back with the stroller too in the lovely Autumn weather.  I've been doing some weight resistance training with dumbbells and some modified situps as well.

I've also been spending some fantastic time in the water (which I love!) working up from 20 laps of our town's 50m pool (1km) going about 1.8km/h up to today's effort of 40 laps (2km) going about 2.4km/h, and finding that I've been needing fewer and shorter rests and breaks.  Which one day is CERTAIN to be horribly and unintentionally spoonerised, causing me to announce to an acquaintance or an in-law that I require fewer breasts and rakes.  I just know it is going to happen.

I can't go more than a few days with some exercise right now, and am loving it.  Bathroom scales be damned, I won't mind all that much if I never lose any weight and am doomed to carry this 4-month-ish belly around on my non-pregnant frame forever.  I am enjoying good nutrition and regular exercise, and that's good enough for me.

2 comments:

Loony Lace Lady said...

Glad to see you back and glad that you have done some homework. I agree with you that counting anything is a time consuming non event. The exercise sounds awesome especially as you are enjoying it. The eating sensibly sounds good also.
So keep at it, pushing that pram can only do good, but sorry about the other wheels. All the best and we will all see where you end up. Hopefully with trim lumpy bits.

Hippomanic Jen said...

Sounds like you'll be getting fitter and feeling better and good on you for not getting too hung up on the rest.

Welcome Back!