What on earth is Operation Skinny Cow?

Operation Skinny Cow was born after a few of us in Blogland decided it might be nice to lose some weight and/or get a bit fitter. We decided it would be even nicer if we encouraged each other along the way.

You can read about how it started in this post.

If you want to be part of the fun and add your own posts to this blog then send an e-mail to Emily Sue at reachingforgreen@gmail.com and she'll set you up as an author.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Weigh-In Wednesday (Femina)

Last week: 74kg
This week: 72.4kg

Loss: 1.6kg.... woo hoo!

I started the weight loss ticker on my blog at my heaviest weight (during the ups and downs) of 75.3kg, which means my total weight loss to date is 2.9kg. And THAT means I've reached my first goal and can buy the reward. It was supposed to be flowers but I was out yesterday and knew I'd already reached my goal so I bought the marble rolling pin I've been eyeing off for a while. It was on sale, too, which was gratifying.

I think the weight loss is a combination of Write It Down Month, which is really helping me feel more in control, and the hideously hot weather we've had here. No one wants to eat when it's 43 degrees for most of the week.

Goals for this week:
  • Stick to writing down what I eat.
  • Plan my week's meals in advance. This helps not only with budgeting but also with avoiding snacks. I don't know why, but knowing what I'll be having for dinner somehow gives me self-control! I can't explain it... :)
  • Get back to the gym - I went yesterday for the first time in three weeks and remembered why I liked it, but I noticed a difference in what I was able to do. It was a shorter workout because I was tiring more easily, having not exercised at all for a while. I need to build up again, particularly since I've been having back and neck pain which always gets worse when I haven't been exercising. I need to strengthen those muscles again or I end up being in pain.
I haven't seen my scales say anything under 74kg for quite some time so I'm feeling happy. Chocolate all round to celebrate! Oh... wait a minute...

5 comments:

Hippomanic Jen said...

WELL DONE YOU SKINNY COW!

I'm so proud of you.

And I'm so glad the writing things down thing is working for you, and the menu planning is working for you and I hope that the going to the gym thing starts working for you soon (potential pain must be a good motivator!)

1.6 kg is spectacular. (Did you know that's 3.5 pounds? Do you feel even better now?)

Manda said...

I'm very impressed with write-it-down month. That is great dedication.

Keep it up, you smelly cow!

(Or skinny cow. Whatever).

BG said...

Great Job Femina,
I recon the effectiveness of planning meals ahead is that you don't make what you feel like (which is what I do when I'm shopping for the day), but you make what you plan. And when I plan I am always more healthy than when I'm hungry ;)
Keep it up,
B

Eizelby said...

HOORAY!!!

I think you're really onto something. Having to face up to everything you eat is definitely one sure-fire way to combat eating without thinking.

You've done so well, keep it up - have you though about continuing the habit even after the month concluded?

Femina said...

They say (whoever 'they' are) that it takes 21 days to form a new habit, so maybe I'll keep it up. We'll see... of course, yesterday I had to write "Breakfast: 2 Krispy Kreme doughnuts; Morning tea and lunch: 4 chocolate chip biscuits, 2 cream biscuits, a bunch of grapes; Dinner: corn chips, dip, kangaroo sausages, salad." I said no to the lemon slice, though, so I felt virtuous. Nauseated, but virtuous!