What on earth is Operation Skinny Cow?

Operation Skinny Cow was born after a few of us in Blogland decided it might be nice to lose some weight and/or get a bit fitter. We decided it would be even nicer if we encouraged each other along the way.

You can read about how it started in this post.

If you want to be part of the fun and add your own posts to this blog then send an e-mail to Emily Sue at reachingforgreen@gmail.com and she'll set you up as an author.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Weigh-In Wednesday (Emily Sue)

Shortly after starting the C25K running program I weighed myself and saw 74.4kg. That's the heaviest I've been in about 10 years, and it was the week after I started exercising so you can imagine how thrilled that made me. There I was, finally committing myself to a proper training program, and then... that number. Boy.  I thought at first it might be one of those two day weight spikes - you know, where your weight just goes up for a couple of days for no obvious reason - but it stayed up around there for nearly three weeks and it's only in the last week or so that it's started to come down.  My current weight, at least for the past two days, is 73.4kg, so I'm calling that a 1kg weight loss even though it's over three weeks.

I'm now halfway through Week 4 of C25K and I'm continuing to be amazed that I can actually do it. Week 4 looks like this:

Brisk 5 minute warm up walk
Run 3 minutes
Walk 90 seconds
Run 5 minutes
Walk 2 1/2 minutes
Run 3 minutes
Walk 90 seconds
Run 5 minutes

That's pretty hard core for someone who could barely manage the "run 60 seconds/walk 90 seconds" sets of the first week. I'm running at quite a slow pace still (between 6kmh and 7kmh, depending on whether I'm at the end or the beginning of the workout) but speed isn't important. I can build up to that later if I want.  The important thing is... I'm doing it, and I am just totally STOKED about that.  Although there were walking bits in between, I have still run for 16 minutes twice this week. That's awesome.
.

2 comments:

Hippomanic Jen said...

I'm so proud of you! I know that the whole point of C25k is that you work up to such marvellous fitness, but I'm just so amazed that you can do this.

My C25k would look like this
Run for 60 seconds
Sit in my comfy lounge chair for 2 hours
Run for 90 seconds
Call ambulance service for suspected cardiac episode

THe kilo of weight loss is a bonus! On the right track now.

(And I'm officially heavier than you - not that it's a competition, but I've got a way to go.)

Givinya De Elba said...

You are awesome! You are doing so well. I've been swimming here, and wondering if my C25K will be in winter when I need to warm up a bit and the thought of getting into swimmers in the cold makes me want to run far away.

Keep on going! Love to you my dear.