What on earth is Operation Skinny Cow?

Operation Skinny Cow was born after a few of us in Blogland decided it might be nice to lose some weight and/or get a bit fitter. We decided it would be even nicer if we encouraged each other along the way.

You can read about how it started in this post.

If you want to be part of the fun and add your own posts to this blog then send an e-mail to Emily Sue at reachingforgreen@gmail.com and she'll set you up as an author.

Friday, December 3, 2010

I want a recount! (HJ)

This week has been pretty full of exercise. I've been doing lots of walking to places as well as 30mins rowing each morning. I've got back to a good clip as I walk by myself, and yesterday I took the LBD and he was limping along behind by the time we turned into our street, so I slowed down. I'm sorry, LBD, I didn't realise it was too fast for you until you couldn't keep up (but you were using your leg, though - good dog!). I'll go slower with you next time, I promise.

You might have noticed that Zumba didn't get a mention. The local lady I was going to lost most of her numbers when one of the local gyms that has just changed hands started advertising ridiculously low weekly rates and also offer Zumba. She was also offered full-time work in her 'day job'. So she closed down the classes she was offering here in town and only goes to her tiny little towns around here that are still getting good classes. I was going out to one for a bit, but it takes too much time. I'm not a gym person, but I considered going to one of the two gyms here that offer Zumba, but they are still not as cheap and/or have their classes at inconvenient times.

There's also a trip overseas that I want to save up for, and so I've been seeking my exercise in other places that are free. I'm considering buying the videos, particularly since you can now buy them at Target and my credit card points (free money! - I pay it out each month and only use it for things I'd buy anyway) will get me a $100 Target voucher, which means that I can get Zumba at convenient times in my own home as many times a week as I want, for years and years to come for only $49. Or I could buy some clothes that fit. Hmmm.

I had one of those bad days this week where my one pair of presentable 'fat' pants are way too big, need gathering in at the waist with a belt (but my skinny pants are still too tight to be presentable). At the same time I needed a presentable 'good casual' top, and the one I selected was too tight around my waist and spare tyre. Truly uncomfortable, and no in-between options that were suitable (or ironed). In fact, I only have my church pants and one pair of shorts that fit (and look nice) at the moment. Everything else is either too big, too small, or noticeably worn.

But I'm feeling more trim. My muscles are feeling as if they can do things, holding themselves tense and ready for more work (particularly my shoulders, back, buttocks and thighs). My spare tyre, tummy and hips seem to be getting softer, though. Hopefully that means the fat cells are emptying and soon there'll be less Jen in those areas.

So I was looking forward to weighing in this morning, despite the fact that my eating hasn't been the best - there have been parties, cakey things and an inability to say 'no'. I'm cranky I didn't leave half the slice of plum pudding at the luncheon yesterday because it was too liquor-y for my taste and I didn't enjoy it. I did, however, avoid the lollies that were on the tables, so that's got to count for something.

So the results:
Last week: 77.7kg
This week: 77.7kg
Loss: 0. Nada. Nuffin'.
Total Loss (since August): 3.3kg. In 4 months.

Waist last week: 95.5cm
Waist this week: 95cm
Loss: 0.5cm
Total Loss (since August): 4cm

And the truly depressing thought:
Total Loss (since we started this game in October 2008): 1.7kg GAIN
Waist Loss (since we started this game in October 2008): 2cm GAIN

So I'm working hard to get back to where I used to be when I first took fright and decided that I needed to get fitter and slimmer. It will be interesting when I get back to 76kg to compare my measurements, because I would have to be fitter now, despite being heavier. Surely?

Sorry for the essay. I'm hoping for better things next week. I will try to eat better, as well as keeping up the exercise.

3 comments:

Emily Sue said...

Why are you going back to October 2008? Just to make yourself feel bad? Forget that. Concentrate on the last week. You exercised. You are stronger and fitter. You are thinking about what you eat and how you move. That's all good self-care. Don't ruin it by beating yourself up. You're doing great things and the scales will show it eventually if you keep going as you are now.

Hippomanic Jen said...

I'd just hoped to be back to 76 by now. That's what has me looking backwards.

The numbers have to go down eventually. I hope.

Givinya De Elba said...

This is mad. You eat less than me, and healthier. You also exercise more than I do and get better sleep. I think life is rigged. You deserve to be where you want to be. I'm cheering for you!