What on earth is Operation Skinny Cow?

Operation Skinny Cow was born after a few of us in Blogland decided it might be nice to lose some weight and/or get a bit fitter. We decided it would be even nicer if we encouraged each other along the way.

You can read about how it started in this post.

If you want to be part of the fun and add your own posts to this blog then send an e-mail to Emily Sue at reachingforgreen@gmail.com and she'll set you up as an author.

Saturday, December 11, 2010

A Strategy for Christmas Parties (GdeE)

Oops, I forgot to post last Saturday.  Not because I'd had a massive blowout and was ashamed, just because I couldn't think of anything to completely cut out until Christmas.

Since last weekend though I have had blowouts and I blame that horrid guy in the red suit.  Usually described as fat and jolly, he will stop at nothing to make me fat and grumpy.

Since 13 Nov I have had no dip, since 20 Nov I have had no sugary drinks and since 27 Nov I have had no sugar in my tea.  (I can't handle coffee without sugar, so I've pretty much cut out coffee altogether.)

Then this Tuesday there was a break-up at Playgroup.  I ate some party food (not in contravention of my recent policies) but I still felt bad.

The next day, a small person had a birthday party and I felt a bit like a failure from the day before, so I ate dip.  Dammit.  Lots and lots and lots of yummy dip.  Do you recall how I said I have absolutely no self-control when it comes to dip?  Uh.  Yeah.  Man, it was good dip.

Now, I hear you thinking that one day of blowing out on dip wasn't all that bad, but the whole idea of short-term, hard-line rules is that I have none (it's only until Christmas for goodness' sake!) and since the blowout, I have been craving food that my body had previously forgotten to crave!

So.  Bad.

But also: good!  I have unwittingly given up my nightly ritual of sitting at my computer consuming a cup of tea (with sugar) and a few (too many) pieces of chocolate.  This has come about since Emily Sue recommended Lipton's Cranberry, Raspberry and Strawberry herbal tea.  I usually can't stand herbals but this one has a lovely aroma and a not-all-that-poisonous taste, so I've been enjoying that instead.  And when I have the tang of the cranberry in my mouth and that nice warm full feeling of a cuppa in my tummy, I really don't feel like putting chocolate through my system.  I currently have Toblerone, Double-Coat TimTams and Mint Slice biscuits in my fridge (darn that man in red) but I'm not eating any.  I just don't feel like it.

Who knew that would happen?

So.  It's Saturday again.  Today I will re-instate a rule that worked very well for me at a party once.  Since there are celebrations and parties springing up everywhere, each holding kilograms of temptation for me, I will allow myself to eat ANYTHING ... but only one of each thing on the table.  A plate of Tim Tams?  Sure, but only one.  Some delicious quichey thing topped with cheese?  Great, but only one.  A bowl of chips?  Poor baby, only one.  I am sure I will live.

I wish I'd made that rule LAST Saturday.  Many Cheezels wouldn't have been eaten by me.

--------------------------------------------------
A word about my scales: A few months ago, they were zeroing at anywhere between 2kg and 10kg, giving me inflated readings.  Now, they are zeroing at 11kg to 20kg, which gives one quite a shock when one steps on.  I believe I weigh about 67kg, having been 64kg after the baby Joseph was born.  The scales can give readings of, for example, 84kg on a Skinny Day.  I have spoken to a Christmas Elf about it (not the man in red himself, we're hardly on speaking terms after this blog post.)

3 comments:

Hippomanic Jen said...

You av a cunning plan? I hope it helps with all the partying to come. Do you allow substitutions, i.e. I hate tiny plum puddings and love caramel tartlets, therefore I can swap my entitlement to one for the other?

Hippomanic Jen said...

PS Sorry about the dodgy scales.

Loony Lace Lady said...

I think it is time to lose the scales and I trust that Santa will come through with more accurate ones. Keep up the strategy you must be making progress. I keep hoping that this week there will be no parties or occasions that I have to eat. Not yet but Christmas isn't far away now. Go skinny cowgirl.