What on earth is Operation Skinny Cow?

Operation Skinny Cow was born after a few of us in Blogland decided it might be nice to lose some weight and/or get a bit fitter. We decided it would be even nicer if we encouraged each other along the way.

You can read about how it started in this post.

If you want to be part of the fun and add your own posts to this blog then send an e-mail to Emily Sue at reachingforgreen@gmail.com and she'll set you up as an author.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Encouragement (HJ)

I am having a good morning (except for the fact I promised myself I wouldn't blog until after 5pm, and I had a late start).

I wrote in my weigh-in that one of my goals is that I want to be more flexible, but how do you measure that?

I've always been a tummy sleeper. After I was born, the nurses handed me to my Mum saying something like, "You know that you're not supposed to sleep babies on their tummies because it increases the risk of Cot-death? This one won't sleep any other way, so you're going to have to risk it."

Unfortunately, I am not flexible and sleeping on my tummy means that I've got to do a neck contortion to be able to breathe. As I've gotten older, I've had to become a side sleeper because my neck isn't as flexible - yes, too much time sitting at computers and not enough exercise.

However, until recently I've still enjoyed short-term tummy dozes until I need to move my neck. There's something about lying on my tum that relaxes all across my lower back and pelvis. It feels good. It's super relaxing. I wish I could sleep on a physiotherapist's plinth because they have a hole for your face and you don't need to turn your head to breathe.

But recently it's been uncomfortable in that same lumbar/pelvic region. I've given up trying to tummy sleep for more than about 5 mins or everything freezes up on me.

This morning my Beloved said goodbye and went off to work, which is my signal to doze for about 10 minutes, then get up. I rolled onto my tummy and it felt sooo good. I woke up about an hour later (oops). Thank heavens I work for myself, or the boss would not have been impressed!

I have a light work day today, so I still rowed despite the fact it puts me behind on my starting time. I'm feeling stronger and more flexible across my lower back. It's not measurable, but it feels good.

So I'm blogging to encourage everyone else to stick with (or start, if you need a push) your exercise plan. I started my rowing slowly, 5 minutes a day, then working up to 8, then 10, then 15 etc. I was stiff in the shoulders - Oh who am I kidding! I was pretty much stiff all over in the morning after the first 4 or 5 (or 10) sessions (despite my stretching beforehand). I'm now able to do 30 minutes at a fair intensity. I'm no longer stiff. My breathing feels easy. I'm sleeping better (and I often have trouble sleeping). I can stretch further when I'm warming up. I feel stronger. The floor doesn't seem so far away when I have to pick things up. And I can do some tummy dozing again.

These are the things that kept me rowing this morning. Once I start I have to do 5 minutes, or I'd stop somewhere after one and a half. I have a similar slump between about 12-17 when I realise I've got so much longer to do. After 20 minutes I'm fine - it's all downhill from there.

I hope this does encourage, rather than just discourage because you've not been motivated about your exercise, or you've been having trouble fitting it in.

My mantra for rowing: slender, strong, poised, elegant! - Of course I don't look/feel any of these things at the time, it's the end goal I'm thinking about.

2 comments:

Swift Jan said...

Good on your Jen!! The rowing machine is full on! I ised to use that at the gym.....

Femina said...

Well done for exercising even when the schedule was a bit thrown. It would have been soooo easy to skip it because you were running late. Big gold star for you!