What on earth is Operation Skinny Cow?

Operation Skinny Cow was born after a few of us in Blogland decided it might be nice to lose some weight and/or get a bit fitter. We decided it would be even nicer if we encouraged each other along the way.

You can read about how it started in this post.

If you want to be part of the fun and add your own posts to this blog then send an e-mail to Emily Sue at reachingforgreen@gmail.com and she'll set you up as an author.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Goodbye to the little old man (Femina)

Fortunately for me it's a beautiful, warm, sunny day here today. This means that I actually wanted to eat the salad with tomato-and-onion-flavoured tuna that I made this morning for my lunch. That was a good thing, and it tasted good too.

Unfortunately, the beautiful, warm, sunny day also meant that when I walked down to the shops in my lunch break (for my daily exercise!) the smell of the sausage sizzle outside the supermarket was drifting tantalizingly over about three blocks. There's a little old man who sits outside the supermarket every single day with this sausage sizzle, selling them for some charity or other. They smell great. They taste great - I've been going there a couple of times a week. But today I entered and exited the shop by the other door so I wouldn't be tempted. Sigh. It's goodbye to the little old man.

Tonight I have home group (Bible study) and we take turns to bring dinner for everyone, so you never know what kind of food you'll get. I'm okay with that - even if it's something particularly fattening, I've eaten well for the rest of the day and I'll be careful not to go overboard with portion sizes. I want to develop better habits but I'm not going to go nuts and deprive myself of everything. I've tried that and it usually leads to a major chocolate blow-out! :)

So it looks like we're all surviving our first week. Yay for us!

5 comments:

Hippomanic Jen said...

Sausage cooking smell. Mmmmm. You are so strong to walk into the shops the other way - you know your weaknesses! I'm so proud of you!

I do pity the poor little old man, though. His charities are going to take a hit in their profits. :)

Hippomanic Jen said...

Oh, and I also think that you're on the right track about your dinner tonight.

Food = Community.
We would end up in a bad way socially/psychologically if we gave up the opportunities for community in our lives. It just means we have to have strength to refuse the Mint Slice bickie, and take a smaller portion of the mains.

Femina said...

It's so sad that I really have no idea what charity I was supporting by buying the sausages. Who cares? Sausages!

Thursday night dinners are usually okay except if someone forgets they were on the roster and has to rush out to buy pizza at the last minute. We don't have dessert unless someone is inspired to cook... that was usually me anyway! Hmmm... so the rest of the group may not be happy with my health kick...

I'm not really too legalistic and I plan to have the occasional treat without going overboard. But NO ICECREAM OR NUTELLA IN MY HOUSE. My self control can only go so far.

Dee said...

I love sausage sizzles.....

You guys are all so positive!I have to think about how I can loose my mummy tummy and join you all.

Hippomanic Jen said...

yeah, Dee - join us and lose that mummy tummy and become a yummy mummy!