What on earth is Operation Skinny Cow?

Operation Skinny Cow was born after a few of us in Blogland decided it might be nice to lose some weight and/or get a bit fitter. We decided it would be even nicer if we encouraged each other along the way.

You can read about how it started in this post.

If you want to be part of the fun and add your own posts to this blog then send an e-mail to Emily Sue at reachingforgreen@gmail.com and she'll set you up as an author.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Weigh-In Wednesday (Hippomanic Jen); Or I refused a Mint Slice Bickie!

Well our first Weigh-in Wednesday is underway. Of course, none of us should have lost anything yet (being the first one), but we've got to start somewhere. I'm glad to see Femina's up and racing, first off the blocks as it were. Morning people, humppff!

My official weigh-in is actually Saturday, so my comments will be half a week behind. It also means that I can comment on how the week is shaping up. For example, at supper at Bible Study on Monday night I not only had no food, I REFUSED A MINT SLICE BICKIE (I'll eat Tim Tams and all the other choccy bickies because I enjoy them, but a Mint Slice is irresistable to me - well close to).

It also means that if I have a really naughty weekend I've got a whole week to make good before confronting the scales/tape. (he, he, he)

MY GOALS (are multiple):

1. I want to have more stamina, better balance, and greater flexibility. My physiotherapist once told me that I am heading for the back of an 80 year old. Hey, I'm just not flexible, OK. Never have been.

These are hard to measure. Lengthening walks, better muscle tone, less clumsy, able to touch my toes more easily?

2. I need to lose 16 kilos to get back to my 27 year old/wedding weight. Equivalent of 22 BMI if you're interested or understand that at all.

Because I always overplan things (I am a Planner by profession, after all!), I have broken this down into grades, each grade having a reward (massage/new clothes) and a 'Balance Month' to stay there and check on sustainability into the future.

Grade 1 = 4 kg (brings me back to where I got to on my last fitness kick in March this year)

Grade 2 = 4 kg (brings me back to a weight I've had trouble getting under in the last 3 years)

Grade 3 = 4 kg (because I wanted to go to a nice round number, but that would have broken down into 3 kg and 5 kg and 4 x 4 kg is much more neat)

Grade 4 = 4 kg (brings me to my goal)

3. I also want to get back into size 12/14 (I used to be on the brink) clothes, rather than nudging at 18. I have some favourite clothes that I'd like to wear again. This also means working on these:


How brave am I, posting a photo? It's a pretty bad photo - I don't know if you've ever tried to take a photo of your own profile. Not easy.

HOW?

Exercise:
I am going to aim for 30 minutes of exercise each day. I will be recording what I do in my dairy for bragging or confession purposes.

This will be made up of 30 minutes rowing at least 4 times a week, and a 30 minute walk with the LBD at least 4 times a week (but may be 6 or 7 times because of those little, brown, pleading eyes).

Anything more than this is BONUS exercise and I am to feel proud of myself for doing it, because I don't need to, I wanted to. This is all about mindset. I'm feeling good this morning because I've done my 30 minutes rowing. I feel good trotting up the stairs from hanging out some washing. I'm sitting straighter and can hold my abdominals to keep my balance.

I also want to get into the habit of including exercise into my days. I want to be able to ride my bike into town (last time I tried I was gasping for air, muscles screaming, and on the verge of one of my strange heart-racing episodes - yes, they have been checked out by my some medical tests - I'll live), or walk up to the hospital when I'm on Pastoral Care up there. Maybe a bit of gardening/landscaping.

Food:

I am going to try to eat a balance of the normal food I eat, but will cut back the size of my portions generally, and on desserts and naughty snacks. (2 a week of each). This allows me to choose and not pig out because I'm not allowed to have anything.

IMPEDIMENTS:

There are two looming problems with my plan. The first is that I'm off to a week of church meetings starting next Wednesday through to the following one. This means staying at someone else's home (limits food control); eating conference food (not only limits what's on offer, but they usually have yummy things); limited hours for exercise because I'll be sitting down in meetings.

I will have to be particularly enthusiastic to walk at lunchtimes or before or after (and I will be staying in someone else's home).

The other looming issue is that I'm now fairly certain that the spots on my tummy that I've been carrying on and off for nearly 10 years are allergy related. They clear up with antihistamines. They have always come and gone, but doctors had always prescribed anti-fungal treatments (that didn't work). It is possible that it's a food allergy. This means going on an elimination diet, then trying things. I'm planning it for after this time away. Starting with getting rid of the spots by limiting the 'usual suspects' allergy-wise. It might mean that I eat better overall. It might mean that I've got to eat worse some days (like heaps of chocolate one morning to see if I spot up - the sacrifice!).

Of course, there's the normal impediments.

I like food. Most foods. I am trying to enjoy what I eat without having to eat lots of it. It's a mindset thing. I will continue to eat full cream dairy because it's good for my calcium intake and I really don't like the alternatives.

I'm not a fan of exercise. I am going to try to change this mindset, too. At the moment I'm trying to concentrate on how I feel now (a couple of hours after rowing - toned, breathing easily, sitting straight) with how it actually feels to be rowing (out of breath, muscles complaining, just wanting to stop).

Sorry for the mammoth post - but you asked to hear my goals, and I just have to explain and rationalise everything!

Hippomanic Jen- hopefully less Hippo(potamus) and more horse-mad!

4 comments:

Femina said...

I'm not really a morning person but since my employer kind of likes it when I show up some time lunch time I am forced out of bed. Since I have to get up I figure I might as well start my day with something fun, like blogging.

Wow, you've thought this whole thing through better than I have... and I like the 4X4 weightloss goals. It's neat and suits my obsessive streak!

Femina said...

That should have read "some time BEFORE lunch time..."

Swift Jan said...

Good plan Jen.... And you are brave to post a pic.... I assure you your bod is in better shape than mine lol.

Givinya De Elba said...

Full cream dairy is only 4% fat - in any other food a claim of 96% fat-free would be a selilng point! After learning a bit about food and nutrition, I am very sceptical that the fat in dairy is so terribly bad that it needs to be eliminated. Loved your pic! You really don't look like there's 16 unwanted kg there!