What on earth is Operation Skinny Cow?

Operation Skinny Cow was born after a few of us in Blogland decided it might be nice to lose some weight and/or get a bit fitter. We decided it would be even nicer if we encouraged each other along the way.

You can read about how it started in this post.

If you want to be part of the fun and add your own posts to this blog then send an e-mail to Emily Sue at reachingforgreen@gmail.com and she'll set you up as an author.

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Eat-aholics Anonymous (HJ)

My name is Jenny, and I'm an eat-aholic.

Yes, after doing pretty well over Christmas I truly fell off the wagon during our little New Year break. I went from eating the occasional nice thing because I knew I would enjoy it, to eating pretty much anything in sight (or that I knew was hiding in the fridge or cupboard) because it was there.

I did not call my sponsor, I willingly chose to eat. Everything.

The wake-up call (AKA this week's results):

This week: 1 kg gain
The last two weeks total: 1.1 kg gain
Total loss that I'm holding onto: 6 kg

The worst thing - remember the large round number I was never going to see again? Currently sitting right on it.

The depressing thing - I now have 2 kg to get to my next goal.

The best thing - Weight that comes on quickly will go off quickly. Hopefully I'll be back on the right track next week.

This will require energy, enthusiasm, and motivation. I'm not certain I currently possess any of those things. I did it to myself. Now I need to undo the results of it. *Big Sigh*

Unless someone else has snuck in another post while I've been writing, this is the 100th Skinny Cow Post. Are we prolific or what?

9 comments:

Femina said...

I'd offer to be your sponsor, except that... well, let's not go there. I haven't stepped on the scales since Christmas Eve. In a whacky coincidence, I haven't exercised since (before) then either. Hmmm.

As I type this, I'm dressed in my gym clothes - shoes on and everything - but I'm waiting for my MP3 player batteries to charge up. That's possibly the most pathetic excuse ever.

May I say, though, well done on not putting on more weight. Over two weeks (which included parties and food-fests) that's really not so bad and, like you say, it's sure to come off quickly. Don't be discouraged, Little Bovine! :)

Hippomanic Jen said...

I don't know that that is a pathetic excuse. I think you need SOMETHING to keep your mind occupied at the gym!

I nearly didn't row because my Beloved was watching cricket (that doesn't occupy my mind - which is why I usually have the TV on in the first place.) I did, though. 38 minutes. 30 of them hard. 10 of them on level 2. That's got to do SOMETHING, surely?

Femina said...

38 minutes of exercise is great. I'm sure it will do you good. You may have blown out on the food over Christmas but you've been really good at exercising this whole time. You seem to have made it a regular part of your day.

I went to the gym today (I guilted a friend into coming with me, which then forced me to go too). It wasn't my hardest workout - I usually do 10 minutes on the bike, 15 on the cross trainer and other weight/strengthening stuff in between. Today I did 10 minutes on the bike and only 7 on the cross trainer but my heart rate was pretty high (fuelled by cake and chocolate) so I thought it a good idea to stop just short of a heart attack.

I'm still in the "why on earth did I join the gym?" stage so I'll need some nagging on Monday to get back there. Polite, friendly, encouraging nagging. :D

My legs and arms hurt. That must be good.

Hippomanic Jen said...

Not entirely good at the exercising. Tuesday, nada. Wednesday (we got home and I could have rowed at night) nup. Thursday, just couldn't be bothered.

For some reason it is hard to get started. Miss a few days and I just don't feel like getting down and rowing in the mornings. I think you must be in that same place.

It's the getting started and keeping going between about 12 and 30 mins that's hard. Once I'm at the 30 minutes I'm fine and can keep going longer. Weird.

Glad you went to the gym. You've got to start somewhere, even if it was a short one. Glad that you stopped short of the coronary.

Just think how often you could go while you are on holidays.

Hippomanic Jen said...

PS. thanks for the encouragement this morning. I really needed it. Late morning I realised that there is another reason my weight might be up this week, and that in another 10 days or so there should be a significant decrease. Love those girly hormones!

Givinya De Elba said...

Oh no, don't be too upset! Experience has told me if you give the scales a minute to gather themselves, they give you a different number, sometimes smaller! Don't eat, don't drink, don't pee, just wait. And hey presto, a loss of 1 kg! Try it. Or maybe borrow MY scales and try it.

Femina said...

Don't eat, don't drink, don't pee, just wait.

Don't eat, don't drink, but ALWAYS pee! Every little bit helps. On the other hand, with your bipolar scales it may work in reverse...

Femina said...

No need for nagging today. I've been to the gym. Yes - I went on Saturday and decided it might be a nice idea not to wait a whole month before going again. I know, it's crazy.

I did get up to 15 minutes on the cross trainer today. It helped the the tv right in front of me was playing Scrubs, so I tuned my MP3 in to that and zoned out for a bit while it was on. I also did more repetitions on some of the weight stuff... but on the down side, there were a couple of exercises I couldn't do because The Powers That Be at the gym decided that it would be a good time to paint one of the walls (and therefore block access to two pieces of equipment). It was so busy today that I got the very last parking spot... and TPTB thought THAT was a good time to paint. Admittedly, most of those people were in the pool, not the gym, but still... stupid. (Or even stoopid.)

However, even with Gym Management Stoopidity it was a good workout and I think I might be back on the wagon again.

Hippomanic Jen said...

That's so good to hear, Femina - You go, girl.