What on earth is Operation Skinny Cow?

Operation Skinny Cow was born after a few of us in Blogland decided it might be nice to lose some weight and/or get a bit fitter. We decided it would be even nicer if we encouraged each other along the way.

You can read about how it started in this post.

If you want to be part of the fun and add your own posts to this blog then send an e-mail to Emily Sue at reachingforgreen@gmail.com and she'll set you up as an author.

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Tentative Success (HJ)

I nearly didn't weigh and measure today.

I was fairly certain that the numbers were going to be the reverse of happy, due to the fact that this week my body has been giving me 'stop' signs and so I've not rowed. Which means that I haven't been able to control my food intake as well as I ought (though not as bad as last week), and don't feel like walking (which I should have been doing and have no excuse save "couldn't be bothered"). No exercise means not sleeping well (broken sleep and stupid dreams), which in turn means not feeling very strong and so the downward spiral continues. Girly hormones don't help either.

However, I did weigh in - a last minute, about to put my clothes on after my shower, and changed my mind. And I feel better having done it.

I've lost 600 grams since last week. This is good.
That's a total of 7.1 kg (or 15.6 pounds) since October.
(Or a total total loss of 9.1 kg if you count all the bits I've taken off, put on, and taken off again - but somehow I don't think that counts)

This maybe just enough to get me back in the right headspace to get me to my next goal, which happens to be my stalling weight (you know, the weight you get to, feel good, and lose motivation to continue?).

I also bought stationery. For someone who has a stationery fetish (pretty paper; a good, well balanced pen; new writing pads; index cards of different colours, etc - never go with me to Office Works!) this is a great non-food treat. A beautiful new, fresh exercise book in which to record what I'm eating. Hopefully the thought of writing down everything I eat will make me start thinking about what I'm eating again. Elimination diet died before Christmas and hasn't been resurrected entirely yet. So the main purpose is to record food and medications compared with any allergy reactions. But I'm still hoping that it will make me think about what I'm eating.

"Once more into the breach, my friends..."

9 comments:

Femina said...

That's great! Good on you for being brave AND getting a good result.

And... I will go to Officeworks with you ANY time. I'm totally addicted to stationery.

Hippomanic Jen said...

Ohhh, and you'd have biiig Office Works in Melbourne. *eyes light up maniacally*

Femina said...

There are at least two within a couple of kilometres. I have a spare bed...

Femina said...

In my house, I mean. Not a spare bed at Office Works.

Givinya De Elba said...

LOVE Office Works. And if Femina's offering free beds there, we can all go and shop til we LITERALLY drop, then shop again after we've rested. The best non-food treat ever.

Congrats on weighing in and seeing the continuing downward trend. What is your plan for not stalling at the stalling weight? I might need some tips of the sort when Thingamababy's about 4 months old.

Hippomanic Jen said...

I'll let you know if I come up with a plan. Obviously just being NEAR it is enough to slow my rate of weight loss down to a couple of months of bouncing!

Femina said...

Writing down what you eat is a great plan. Just being aware of everything that's going in is often a bit of a wake up call. Maybe I'll start doing that too... I might have to go to Officeworks for a new notebook.

Eizelby said...

Yay, good on you!

I don't know about writing everything you eat down, it's good for accountability but do you find yourself obsessing over food? More than you might do already?

Hippomanic Jen said...

Yes, I could get a little obsessed, but the real purpose is to do with finding out what "pacifically" is causing my itchy spots and how much I can push the boundaries without spotting up. Any weightloss advantage is a bonus - and I think it might be good just to record for a while to see what's going on.