What on earth is Operation Skinny Cow?

Operation Skinny Cow was born after a few of us in Blogland decided it might be nice to lose some weight and/or get a bit fitter. We decided it would be even nicer if we encouraged each other along the way.

You can read about how it started in this post.

If you want to be part of the fun and add your own posts to this blog then send an e-mail to Emily Sue at reachingforgreen@gmail.com and she'll set you up as an author.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Newcomer alert! (Eizelby)

Hello!  I've been following this blog for some time now and only recently worked up the courage to ask to be involved.  So here I am, my name is Eizelby here because that is what I signed myself up as, and I'm an obsessor.  Obsessive?  I'm obsessed with stuff.  I obsess about the things I love in life, and I also obsess about what I don't like about myself.  I recognise that this is unhealthy, but it's not easy to change the mentality I have had for my entire life.


By way of introduction, I'll conveniently list some things you should know about me before we get started:

 

I am not a gym person.

I don't like to sweat in public.

 

I stress eat.

But don't we all?  Problematically, the thought of not eating makes me stressed, which makes me eat more.  So "diets" never work, as I always end up eating MORE than I would if I were not on a diet.

 

I don't drive.

So the process of getting to the gym is a major factor in my long list of reasons to not go.  But it does mean I have to walk a lot more than I would if I had auto transport, so that's at least a plus.

 

My favourite foods are spaghetti and whipped cream.

Clearly not the easiest tastes to accommodate when trying to live a healthier lifestyle.  And yes, I consider whipped cream a food in its own right.


My family is no help whatsoever.

Except for Manda, a member of this very bovine blog!  We were raised on McDonalds and Coca Cola.  I'm moving back home come the end of January, back into the land of the candy-coated kitchen and food-filled fridge, so I'm going to have to find some inner strength to resist.  I have no doubt weighing myself weekly and publicly will help in this matter!  I'll also be depending on prayer.


I have lost weight before.

My BMI was 25 when the doctor told me to lose weight for medical reasons.  So I was technically in the healthy weight range, but we needed to see if a certain issue I have would change if I lost a few kilos.  I did, it didn't.  The weight came back, and brought some friends along with it.

 


The Stats:

Current measurements: 168cm tall, weigh 73kg and am a size 12 top and 12/14 bottom.

Goal weight: I'm going with 65, because that is the weight I was in March last year and I felt comfortable (and was certainly in the 'healthy range') at that weight.


The Plan:

Gym workout: Once a week, if I can force myself.  I think I'll need to find a gym buddy.

Pool swimout: Also once a week. This will be much easier to convince myself to go, as I love swimming.

Not eat crap all the time: I'll have to reteach myself that sugary snacks before lunch, after lunch, before dinner and after dinner aren't necessary.  My special medical issue means I should be on some kind of low-GI eating thing.  I should look into that.

Go for walks: Last year, I taught myself to love walking.  Let's aim for one half-hour walk a day.


The Rewards:

I was going to reward myself every time I went down a BMI rating, but now that I'm intent on losing an even number of kilos, I might as well just have my rewards as such:

2kg down: I'll go see a movie all by myself ... I've never done that and I kind of really want to!

4kg down: I'm going to get a pedicure.

6kg down: I'll treat myself and a friend to a nice (healthy!) dinner.

8kg down: I'm not sure yet - it seems so far away!

9 comments:

Hippomanic Jen said...

Welcome to Skinny Cow!

It looks like you have some issues to overcome, but you have a plan, which is a good start.

I hope we can help, or at least become a shoulder to cry on if it's needed.

It's lovely to meet you, I hope you enjoy the company on this road to Bovinity!

Femina said...

Welcome! I wondered when you'd appear. It's delightful to have you here. :)

wow. Are you really 5cm taller than me??

I walk down to the shops and back in my lunchbreak most days, so feel free to join me on the Fridays you're in the office. It's uphill on the way back!

Femina said...

Any by the way, Hippomanic Jen and I are the same person (apparently) so you'll often see us comment at almost exactly the same time... or in the same words.

Yeah. Little bit creepy. :D

Eizelby said...

The same person? I'll keep that in mind!

And thank you for your support, this is an exciting endeavour and I really look forward to becoming fit ladies with you! :) I hope there won't be too much crying ...

And Femina, I suppose I am ..? That's my height, sometimes I'm 169 in the mornings. Height is a weird thing. And I like the idea of the walk!

Eizelby said...

Welcome, Eizelpoo!

I'm glad you finally posted (though the long time you spent at the computer talking about it may have given the game away a little).

Does this mean I can call you a Cow now?

Femina said...

Did you just welcome yourself, or was that Manda forgetting to log you out?

Givinya De Elba said...

I'm going to like this, if Manda calls tou Eizelpoo all the time! I haven't done much weighing in and writing about why, but I plan to change that really soon.

Manda said...

... perhaps.

(Who's the same person now?)

The Big Girl Blog! said...

I just found this through Louisa and I'm so excited!

Eizelby, I had a friend laugh in my face when I mentioned that I try not to sweat at the gym... so I'm totally with you (and swimming is a great way around that issue!)

Hooray & Good Luck... I'll be reading!