What on earth is Operation Skinny Cow?

Operation Skinny Cow was born after a few of us in Blogland decided it might be nice to lose some weight and/or get a bit fitter. We decided it would be even nicer if we encouraged each other along the way.

You can read about how it started in this post.

If you want to be part of the fun and add your own posts to this blog then send an e-mail to Emily Sue at reachingforgreen@gmail.com and she'll set you up as an author.

Friday, January 9, 2009

The Zone... I found it! (Femina)

I went to the gym this morning. Usually I start with ten minutes on the bike and do fifteen minutes on the cross-trainer (which is an instrument of torture that looks like this).  Actually I quite like it - it's kind of like being on a treadmill but there's no impact, and if you hold the big tall handles, which move back and forth with your stride, you can exercise your arms as well.  I find it gives a better cardio workout than the bike.  So... I like the cross-trainer but fifteen minutes is my limit.

Today I arrived at the gym and discovered a friend was there working out on the cross-trainer. I decided to start with that instead of the bike so I could say hello to her and have a quick chat while I still had the breath to do so.  We chatted, she finished on her cross-trainer, I kept going.  And kept going.  And kept going for THIRTY MINUTES.  I hadn't intended to... I got to fifteen and thought, "I'll see if I can get to seventeen" and then thought, "Well, I might as well go to twenty".  Then my plan was to go to 25 and not use the bike, so I'd be getting the same amount of cardio... and once I was there it was easy to make it to 30 minutes.  I was in The Zone.

All in all, I'm feeling super-smug right now - partly because I can feel it was a good, solid workout, and partly because I pushed myself past what I thought was my limit... and I came through.

Having said that, I won't be doing 30 minutes every time... it hurts! :)

5 comments:

Dee said...

Great job on finding the zone, hope you are not too sore after it!

Hippomanic Jen said...

Woo Hoo!

Hippomanic Jen said...

You know, I don't think I'd have the coordination to ride that thing. You are very brave and strong.

Long dark hair, blue eyes said...

well done - 30 minutes is a long time on that thing!

Femina said...

One of the reasons I like it is because it DOESN'T require coordination. You just walk... the arm thingies move on their own as you walk.