What on earth is Operation Skinny Cow?

Operation Skinny Cow was born after a few of us in Blogland decided it might be nice to lose some weight and/or get a bit fitter. We decided it would be even nicer if we encouraged each other along the way.

You can read about how it started in this post.

If you want to be part of the fun and add your own posts to this blog then send an e-mail to Emily Sue at reachingforgreen@gmail.com and she'll set you up as an author.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Error of Measurement? (Givinya)

Hi All. I think I need to start NAMING NUMBERS. I wasn't going to do that in case anyone with bigger numbers than me felt thingy about it, or if anyone with smaller numbers than me made me feel thingy. But I'll just give them to you and you can choose not to feel thingy.

When I started: 69.4
Last week: 67.1
Today: 67.2

I remember you told me last week to weigh myself in the morning before I'd had breakfast. Well, I did, but first I had to put my contact lenses in so I wasn't squatting & squinting like Manda (heh, cool description Manda), but in my case I'd have to squat a VERY long way because I am so terribly short-sighted. And when I put my contacts in, I have to have my medication, because otherwise I forget and my blood pressure gets a bit high by midday. And when I have my BP medication, I also have a few vitamins, and so I need a drink to wash them down, which I did. I must have chugged 250mL before weighing myself and I wonder if I put on a cool quarter of a kilo before hopping on those scales.

So here's a continuation of my initial query about error of measurement. We're supposed to drink 2 litres of water a day, and pee some of that. That's 2 kilos we're expecting to gain and lose across the day. Also, we eat food, we -erm- get rid of yesterday's food, we put on clothes, we take a few layers of clothing off. So, when we see something like a gain of 100g or a loss of 400g, I'd like to know what that really means? Anything or nothing?

What's the smallest fluctuation that we can confidently call a fluctuation?

They say that a weekly loss of 1 kg is fine. But that is within the expected fluctuation of drinking and peeing, according to my calculation. How do we know if we've lost a kilo or if we've peed a lot, dehydrated or forgotten to drink water? Hm?

Well, anyway, it would appear that I gained 100g. Or perhaps I lost 150g, according to what I assume the scales would have said before I slammed down that glass of water.

At any rate, last night I noticed fat rolls, so I'm not all that encouraged.

So here's what I'll do this week:

1. Write a post telling you how I used to keep all the weight off, and why I'm okay with my fat rolls now (most of the time).

2. Push two fussy children in a double stroller around the neighbourhood three times this week, and I'll swim once.

3. This is a hard one: I'll stop drinking calories. I'm going cold turkey on sugar in tea and (gulp) coffee. If that means I don't like it, I'll just drink water instead. I don't usually have a lot of sugar, so there's no good reason why I need any at all.

Wish me luck!

PS my new scales haven't broken yet from me standing on them, like the old ones did.

5 comments:

Manda said...

I have absolutely no answers to your wonderful questions.

I do, however, have another query to add: a friend of mine reports that women can gain up to 1.5 kilos once a month (guess when!)and lose it again the week after. I did notice when losing weight the first time that one week was less successful than the others, and the week following was a lot better (provided I didn't get discouraged along the way and give up).

Do you think we gain a bit of weight at that time because of "water retention" and automatic changes in our bodies - or because we comfort-eat our PMS away?

Manda said...

Actually, you know what, I do have an answer to both our questions.

There are probably a lot of things that can affect how much we weigh during the day. We could try to measure and account for them all, but in the end we probably can't.

That's why it's good that we're weighing ourselves over a longer period of time. What we lose or gain each week ends up being reflected in what we lose over a whole month... if you've gone up or down a few times in that month, perhaps the food/fluid/time-of-day stuff is at work (or perhaps the milkshakes were involved); if you go down over a month, then the week-to-week isn't as crucial.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is learn from each week, pay attention to your habits along the weigh (ohhh, that was a bad one), but don't freak out or give up over small gains you can't explain.

Manda said...

I can't believe I'm commenting a third time, but I was so interested in your musings that I forgot to say

Well Done for 2.2 Kilos So Far!

That's awesome.

Hippomanic Jen said...

Like Manda I was very interested in your musings. Like Manda, I have no clue, but fully support her over time strategy.

So OF COURSE your minimal spike was due to the glass of water you had - and congratulations on the overall loss.

By the way - have the same amount of water next week and it will be accounted for in your weight.

I still haven't got back into the exercise. I'm still coughing all over the place. We'll have to see what this means.

Swift Jan said...

YOur doing great!! 100g is nothing to worry about.