What on earth is Operation Skinny Cow?

Operation Skinny Cow was born after a few of us in Blogland decided it might be nice to lose some weight and/or get a bit fitter. We decided it would be even nicer if we encouraged each other along the way.

You can read about how it started in this post.

If you want to be part of the fun and add your own posts to this blog then send an e-mail to Emily Sue at reachingforgreen@gmail.com and she'll set you up as an author.

Thursday, November 27, 2008

May I start again? (Femina)

I think I need to call this Week One for me. It may have been obvious that my heart hasn't been in this up to now, despite the fact that it was partly my idea to start this blog. I have been under some stress (go the comfort eating) and have been particularly unmotivated to exercise. I'm back at the gym now and I actually want to start eating better, so this feels like the start of a proper effort.

Additionally, I have just bought new scales because my last scales, despite being digital, only measured in half-kilo increments. This meant that unless I lost a full half-kilo it didn't show any loss at all (on the up-side, though, it also didn't show any gains unless they were a full half-kilo... hmmm... maybe I should use those when I've had a bad week...) My new scales measure in 100g increments so I'm getting a much better picture. Unfortunately, the new scales show me as about 2kg heavier than the old scales... which makes me think the old ones were crap, since the scales at the gym also weighed heavier.

So, given that I've been giving this only half my attention up to now AND I have shiny new scales, I'm declaring a "do-over" and starting in earnest from now. No, really. :)

Starting weight: 74.5kg
Goal weight: ummm... probably around the 64 mark. That's the lowest weight I've been and I was happy with my size at that weight. Really my goal is to fit back into my size 12 clothes (whilst still being able to breathe) and to lose the wobbly, wobbly tummy.

The Plan:
Gym workout three times per week
Bring my lunch from home instead of buying it (ooh, and a money saver too - win win!)
Eat breakfast - I'm very bad at this. I usually sleep late, spend time stuffing around and then realise I'm about to be late so I rush to the car without breakfast and end up buying a muffin at 10am because I'm starving.

The Rewards:
Since I want to lose roughly 10kg I think I'll reward myself at each 2.5kg, because that's nice and neat and also more achievable than waiting until the end.

First 2.5kg: Flowers. This doesn't seem like much of a reward but I live alone and I never bother to buy flowers for my house... however, I get such a lift from seeing them that's it's a good reward for me.

Second 2.5kg: Candle holder (and candle). I love candles and I've been eyeing off a couple of gorgeous glass candle holders, but have resisted buying them because I really don't need any more. I don't need them... but they would be a great reward.

I haven't decided yet on rewards for the other two milestones.

Of course, if I'd thought of this last night I could have been organised enough to make my lunch today... oh well! The supermarket does a good green salad and it's a decent walk down there too so off I go...

5 comments:

Hippomanic Jen said...

Well, I reckon it's a good idea to have a start again day if you don't feel OSC has been making a difference for you up to now. New page, new mindset, new goals with fun rewards. Incremental. It's all good.

How can we be more supportive of your new plan? Shall I email you every day, asking if you've been to the gym? No? OK, maybe not.

So enjoy this, the first day of the rest of your life, and that garden salad sounds wonderfully refreshing (as long as you don't have to go past the sausage-man).

Dee said...

Great new start. Good luck

Givinya De Elba said...

You don't want Jen emailing you every day to check up on you.

Though the way she makes it sound, she'd probably get HER MUM to email you to check up! Ha.

I left a late comment on that lurker warning post saying that Jen's Mum is a really lovely person, and that you can't believe Jen when she says her Mum is scary! Just wanted you all to know.

Femina said...

Well, maybe not an e-mail EVERY day, but the occasional one would be fine! Perhaps in the lead up to the weekend to encourage me to go to the gym on Saturday morning. I'm always so glad to have gone; it's just the getting there that's hard.

Heh.. my parents are visiting in two weeks and I'll definitely need some sort of escape so I imagine my gym time will increase dramatically for the five days they're here. :)

Thanks for your support. Even when I'm slack, I still love coming here because everyone is so great (even Jen's scary mum...)

Louisa Claire said...

Good on you! If you want a brekki suggestion...2 weetbix, low-fat milk and 1-2 tbls Vaalia yoghurt. It's really filling, yummy and healthy! (only 3.5WW points)

Enjoy :)