What on earth is Operation Skinny Cow?

Operation Skinny Cow was born after a few of us in Blogland decided it might be nice to lose some weight and/or get a bit fitter. We decided it would be even nicer if we encouraged each other along the way.

You can read about how it started in this post.

If you want to be part of the fun and add your own posts to this blog then send an e-mail to Emily Sue at reachingforgreen@gmail.com and she'll set you up as an author.

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Weigh-In Weekend (HJ)

OK, so the 'scrappy insurgent' is back with her weekend rebellion. (Yes, Femina, I believe you should know where that comes from.)

I have to preface this report by saying that my expectations before going were not high. I wanted to maintain my weight in the face of 2 days of Chaplaincy Affirmation days, then 5 days of state-wide church meetings. This means sitting down for hours, and being presented with really yummy food options. The whole time away I was visiting friends and staying with people I don't get to see very often - this means sitting down talking for hours and really yummy food options.

However, I did really well for the first bit. I walked my friend's dog in the morning before meetings. I avoided morning and afternoon teas, drank lots of water and kept my quantity of food under control.

Then I changed location, and went for a walk along the beach and a swim in the surf before meetings. I avoided most bad food, and kept the quantities under control.

Then I was the 'happy' recipient of a cold in the head (Thanks, Mum). Exit swimming or walking up the hill from the car park (I took the shuttlebus). I was eating/drinking anything I could lay my hands on to soothe my throat. Cough-drops, lollies, cakey-things - it was all fair game.

Then I had a fish & chips with ice-cream incident last night when I really couldn't be bothered cooking. Just to confirm that the ice-cream was not actually eaten with the fish & chips, in case you're wondering.

Needless to say I was not expecting the scales to be my friends this morning.

I lost 0.4 of a kilogram! I'm excited, despite the fact it's probably just loss of muscle tone. I did however lose some small amounts from my circumference at various points, too. So maybe not. I'm happy to live in the mystery until next week. Hopefully I'll be able to get some excercise in, although I'm still feeling pretty miserable. I also think that I should be kind to my body while it's fighting something off, so I'll aim for later in the week.

8 comments:

Femina said...

I should know where 'scrappy insurgent' comes from, or 'weekend rebellion'? I'm drawing a blank on both... except that people keep referring to US Republican candidates and presidents as 'scrappy insurgents', which is laughable.

Anyway, well done on the weight loss! Every little bit counts and I'm in awe of your efforts prior to getting sick. It's hard to stick to any kind of resolution when people offer cake. Even harder when they offer it a couple of times a day.

Hope you're feeling better soon. Rest up! xo

Hippomanic Jen said...

Close, but no cigar. I've been re-watching The West Wing - Josh Lyman used it about Matt Santos during the primaries. Along the lines of "There's only room for one scrappy insurgent in this race, and that's us"

Then again, maybe I have my internet friends confused...

Hippomanic Jen said...

BTW - I was extraordinarily proud of myself for refusing things in my first week. I'm finding exercise in the morning is the key. If I've done the work in the morning, it's easier to say 'Thank you, but no." I don't want to ruin all my good work.

Femina said...

Oh my goodness! I should have known that one. What kind of West Wing fanatic am I?? *hangs head in shame*

Dee said...

good job! I did not know cakey things were good for a sore throat...live and learn ;)

Hope you are better now.

Givinya De Elba said...

Cakey things are good for ANYTHING.

Le said...

woo hoo - well done Jen ! le

Manda said...

Well done for losing weight after a tough week.

I think you're right about the cold - if you overdo things while you're sick, you could just end up taking longer to recover, which means a longer wait before you can do some good exercise again. Have a break!